Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Potty Training

I’m writing this down so when I have to do this again in two years I will remember what worked and how it went. My little guy is officially potty trained. Yep and it happened quick. I was a bit terrified to try, and really I just jumped right in with my fingers crossed that my approach would work with him. I set aside 3 days that we could stay home and work on it. I took away the diapers completely and hoped for the best. I gave Cole an incentive for using the potty in the form of a treasure box. I filled it with target $1 bin goodies and fun candy.

Day 1-
We set up camp for the day in the basement, its one big room so I could contain him in it. He was really excited to wear his toy story undies, however within 5 minutes of having his undies on he did pee in them. He yelled I’m peeing. I didn’t make a big deal of it just said it’s OK pee pee goes in the potty. I sat him on potty while I Cleaned it up and we moved on. He spent most of the day in his undies or naked. I filled him with lots of juice and fruit to get him to pee. And did he ever, I swear he was going every 10min that first morning. He was getting a real kick out of getting a treat from the treasure box and he loved emptying the pee in the big potty and flushing it. By nap time we had not had any other accidents and he was starting to run to the potty when he needed to go. It was working. After nap I got him to poop on the potty, it was amazing. We were both very excited about it!

Day 2-
Only one accident. He waited too long and peed standing right next to the potty. This is part of the process, he is learning how long he can hold it before it’s too late.

Day 3-
No accidents. He’s announcing when he needs to pee and poop .He’s even asking for privacy in the bathroom. We go on our first out of the house outing to the doctors and to the grocery store. No accidents and he’s fine using the public bathrooms.

It was an exhausting 3 days, well really it was just day 1 that sucked. I watched him like a hawk and kept on him asking him to use the potty, which is hard when you have a 3 month old. But it worked. Cam said I earned my mom badge for the year. Ha funny guy.

Playing with his friends for the first few times was a challenge and he did have an accident. I get it though he’s just too busy playing to stop to use the potty. He’s doing much better now, and takes breaks from playtime to go.

Of course there will be accidents over the next month I’m sure. But I try my best to make sure they don’t occur. We always pee before we leave the house and I let him know where the potty is if he needs to go when we are out. We carry a change of clothes at all times just in case. The first few times we left the house I brought the potty chair, but there really isn't a need for it now. He does great going before we leave or using the restroom when we are out and about.

I’m so proud of him! He was ready and it showed.

   
 Think he’s proud of himself?!?       

No comments: