Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hives Suck


So let me rewind about 2 weeks and explain how we got where we are today. Cole had his one year checkup where received his vaccinations, one especially big one the MMR for the measles. The doctor explained to me that there was a small chance that Cole could get a rash from the MMR shot about 10 days from then but don’t be alarmed it will go away. At the checkup we found out Cole’s had an ear infection which I was clueless about because Cole showed no signs of discomfort. She prescribed an amoxicillin for Cole to take for 10 days while there the doctor also gave me the thumbs up to start full force on milk starting that day!

Ok so three things to remember…MMR shot, Amoxicillin for his ear infection and the start of cow’s milk. Everything was going smoothly till day 8…I got a call from his sitter telling me that Cole seemed to have a rash all over his body that just appeared after his afternoon nap. She assured me he was in no pain and maybe it was a heat rash from being at the pool earlier that day. When I picked him up that afternoon it looked like a heat rash but maybe it was the MMR shot? It really didn’t seem to be bothering Cole so I decided to wait till morning to call his doctor.

The next morning I went in to get Cole from his crib and was a little taken back at how bad the rash looked. It was EVERYWHERE. And it was redder and raised. This can’t be from the shot? Could it? I called the doctor right away and they told me to come in asap it was either the MMR shot or he was having an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin.

Well that rash turned out to be HIVES, he was having an allergic reaction. Unfortunately were not sure what he is allergic to just yet. He is off the Amoxicillin but it’s takes time till its out of his system and he’s off milk just to be careful. So now we wait…close to 10 days out and poor guy still has hives. Thankfully he’s pretty resilient and doesn’t seemed to bothered by them. I’m not sure which is worse being allergic to penicillin or milk? I’m thinking milk.





 

1 comment:

K Ervick said...

I am sure his formula was milk based and he seemed ok with that. Hopefully it's the penicillin. That seems easier.