Wednesday, June 23, 2010

39 weeks and a visit to L&D!

I have made it to my last week of pregnancy!!! And for a few moments today thought it may be my last day of this pregnancy!

I went in for my scheduled appointment and found out I was close to 2cm dilated and still 80% effaced. My doctor then proceeded to strip my membranes, folks this is not pleasant at all but he said he did it in hopes it would help me go into labor sometime soon.

My blood pressure was a little higher than usual and seemed to be increasing over the past 2 weeks. Due to this my doctor doesn't want me to go very long after my due date, so my induction is scheduled for next Thursday JULY 1st! But to make sure everything was OK now my doctor said he wanted me to do a NST (non stress test) to make sure Cole wasn't under any stress due to my high blood pressure & also do some blood work to make sure everything was OK with me.

NST, monitors the babies heart rate and monitors any contractions you may be having for a about 20 mins. So Cam and me sat there listening to Cole's heart beat and watching the screen then all of sudden it started to dip....I knew right away this was not suppose to happen. I told Cam anything under 100 is not good...it was reading 65! Then after what felt like forever it started going up again and stayed steady between 120-155. I told Cam this isn't good and when the nurse came in she didn't help calm us down either. Her exact words when she looked at the screen was "WHAT HAPPENED!" then left the room real fast! I looked at Cam and told him
stay calm everything will be OK we are here at the hospital already so if anything needs to be done we are OK. Yes folks I'm the calm one, whenever faced with an emergency I some how keep my cool. The nurse came back in about 2 minutes later and said the doctor wants to go over the reading and that they would be sending me to L&D for more testing. My doctor said due to the drop in heart rate we need to do more tests which included another NST screening and an ultrasound to check fluids, the baby and placenta. If anything else looked unusual that we would be induced TODAY!

We looked at each other and said OMG! We were both nervous that things were not ok and tried to do our best to look at the bright side. We may be meeting our son today! So over to L&D we went after lots of waiting around, another NST screen and an Ultrasound it turns out the dip in heart rate was just a fluke. Cole passed all the tests with flying colors and today was not going to be the day we would be induced. While we were sad about that we were very happy to hear everything was OK! I'm scheduled to go back to my doctor this Friday for another NST screen just to make sure everything is still OK then we wait to see if Cole comes on is own before next Thursday!!!!

I will update what the doctor says Friday till then I'm relaxing at home and enjoying my time out of the office!

2 comments:

Linda said...

He is trying to come a see you...just give him a little time!

The Gearys said...

Yippee for a set date!! I wish I was able to come seems him right after he gets here, but alas, I will have to wait until I get back from the beach. Best of luck to you and Cam. I will be thinking about you guys Monday!!!