Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Bump

It never ceases to amaze me how The Bump is right on target. During my pregnancy I received emails telling my how far along I was and the symptoms that usually occurred then, which was very helpful. Now since Cole was born the emails are about him and what he is up to with each week that passes. Today I received an email that screamed out to me, "4 month wakeful period?". Cole has been a Rock Star sleeper...been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks old! The past two weeks this has changed Cole has woken up some nights at 3:45 or 4am, its generally loud babbling and sounds like hey guys I'm in here come get me. He's not hungry...he just wants to hang out. There was no big change in his schedule, could it be because I went back to work?!? I chopped it up to being because he had gotten a cold around the time this started, and he was just still getting over being sick. Then I get this email, turns out this is a new UNWELCOME phase of turning 4 months old. What is this you ask...

It's not uncommon for babies to start having sleep difficulties around their four-month birthday. This ages marks a huge cognitive and emotional turning point for babies, as they become much more aware of -- and interested in -- the world around them. It can also mean they'll sometimes want to play during the night. This is actually a good sign, because it means baby is bonding with you and having a good time during the day. However, it's challenging to cater to his desire to be with you around the clock.

Just when I thought we had made it past our sleepless nights it looks like this new phase will have us waking up way to early for the next few days? weeks? months? Being a parent is never easy just when you think you got it figured out things change...and then change again. I know this to shall pass and I have been reading wonderful tips on how to get past this from other mommies on the bump. It's so helpful to hear were not alone and what we can do to change it.So now Cam and me are on a rotating schedule of every other morning so we can make it though the day. And it seems like on most of Cam's mornings Cole sleeps just fine to 5:30am. Go figure...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yes...they are always good for Daddy..HAHA!! It will pass...can't believe its 4 MONTHS!!