Thursday, September 15, 2011

What I'm Reading these days....

I have decided to be proactive and start reading up some methods of discipline for toddlers. Thankfully tantrums are not a normal thing in our house right now but we have seen a few that has made us think , “Oh wow how do we handle this?!?”
Each family has their own method of discipline and what works for them. We are trying to find ours. Right now when Cole does something we don’t want him to do we tell him NO and then try are best to distract him with something else. This works the majority of the time but not always. In these cases we try to remove him from whatever is causing him to act out. I mean really the kid is only 14 months old and any real discipline besides NO would be lost on him. So what’s the next step? When distraction doesn’t work and a tantrum begins.




I’m really hoping to get some good ideas from these two books and by talking to some mamas I know.

 

3 comments:

The Gearys said...

We are 1-2-3 magic people even though you don't truly implement it until 2 years old. It actually works pretty well!

Lowry Fam said...

Books are great, 1-2-3 Magic helped a friend of mine, but don't forget your natural parenting instincts and what works best for your fam. You know Cole better than anyone. (I will now step down off my soapbox.)

Sue Kos said...

Sarah...I teach 10 little two year olds and 13 three year olds this year. I have lots of ideas for you that may help....call me if you want as my preschool parents are always looking for advice too. You are a good mom so just stay positive!!