Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Being Cole's Mama

Recently I had an older family member tell me what an amazing job I have done with Cole. I smiled at him and said I don’t think I can take full credit ,Cole just has an innately sweet and fun personality. To myself all I could think was… Ha I don’t know what I’m doing as a parent if anything I’m sure I’m not doing enough for Cole.

012 

I kept thinking about what he had said to me as the days passed. Being a parent is one of the hardest things you will ever do. I don’t think I’m doing the right things all the time. I have raised my voice one to many times when Cole has yet again thrown he’s Sippy cup across the room. I have allowed him to watch one to many episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse because Mama needed a minute of peace and quiet. I've given him chocolate at breakfast because that’s all he would eat .

021

It made me realize how hard I can be on myself for not being the “perfect” parent to Cole. Why couldn’t I proudly take the pat on the back ? There is no such thing as a perfect parent. There is no such thing as a perfect child. Parenting is hard some days and I don’t have it all figured out . As Cole watches, listens and learns from me I hope on most days I’m providing him a good role model. One that shows him compassion, love, patience and nurturing. To remember that the days I don’t that it’s OK. That’s what tomorrow is for right? To have another chance to make it better.  

027



No comments: